Clinton County was originally inhabited by the Shawnee, Lenape, and Iroquois tribes. Lumber was abundant, and it drew in settlers searching for a home and work. A diversity of industry developed as people settled in the area, from brickwork in Farrandsville and Mill Hall to the heyday of the Piper Cub and Piper Aviation. During 1889, 1918, 1936, and 1972, floods tore through the county before a levee system was finally constructed in Lock Haven in the 1990s. Education has been an important mainstay in the area, and one-room schoolhouses once dotted the landscape. The Central State Normal School, now Lock Haven University, was a regional draw for those seeking a career in teaching. Through historic photographs, Clinton County illustrates the changes that have occurred in this area over the years and traces the history of the people who created this heartland Pennsylvania community.