Clark CountyeBook - 2006
Clark County was created in 1873 by an act of territorial legislature. It was named for Newton Clark, a territorial legislator. On June 27, 1878, the first white settlers arrived in Clark County. Settlers continued migrating to Clark County, and by 1880, there were enough settlers to petition for organization. On May 23, 1881, Clark County became an official county. The first courthouse was built in 1888 in Clark. Besides Clark, the following towns were soon formed: Bradley, Carpenter, Crocker, Elrod, Garden City, Melham, Naples, Raymond, Vienna, and Willow Lake. Clark County, located in northeast South Dakota in the Glacial Lakes and Prairie Region, is home to some 4,500 residents.
Publisher: Charleston, SC : Arcadia, 2006
Characteristics: 128 p. : ill. ; 24 cm